figgyoconnell

Linda Coggin
Forgetting Foster
Dianne Touchell

The Siren

The Siren - Kiera Cass For eighty years Kahlen has served the Ocean, singing people to a watery grave. Throughout her time as a siren she will remain a beautiful nineteen year old, impervious to age and injury, and is not allowed to let a human hear her voice unless she’s singing them into the Ocean.
And if anyone guessed that the Ocean was purposefully consuming some of the people She also helped sustain, it wouldn’t take the humans very long to figure out how to get their water without ever touching Her. If no one went into the water… How would we all live?
Obedience was imperative.
With only her three sisters and the Ocean to confide in, and with nothing else to occupy her time, Kahlen gathers together albums of the people she’s helped kill as a kind of memorial, and researches sirens.
I had found a wealth of art and more short stories than I would have imagined, and in general there was some truth to many of the pieces. In several places, the number of sirens was said to be two, in others five, and those were indeed our limits. It was almost an impossible job to do alone, but having too many at once increased our chance of exposure.
We read about the Slavic rusalki, who were the souls of women who drowned and haunted rivers and streams. The Latin undines lacked a soul but could obtain one through marriage to a mortal. Mermaids had their long hair and beautiful tails, naiads only lived in freshwater, and the Greeks had a slew of gods dedicated to nothing but water.
Kahlen is resigned to finishing her sentence in solitude…until she meets Akinli. Handsome, caring, and kind, Akinli is everything Kahlen ever dreamed of. And though she can’t talk to him, they soon forge a connection neither of them can deny… nor would Kahlen want to.
There wasn’t a good enough word for him. Decent implied that he only met the bare minimum of politeness in life. Kind didn’t cover the deep down affection he carried at all times for other people, even when he was sad. Even perfect wasn’t fair, because he was certainly flawed, and those shortcomings, that humanness, made me love him all the more.
Falling in love with a human breaks all of the Ocean’s rules, and if the Ocean discovers Kahlen’s feelings, she’ll be forced to leave Akinli for good. But for the first time in a lifetime of following the rules, Kahlen is determined to follow her heart.

The rest of this review can be found HERE!