figgyoconnell

Linda Coggin
Forgetting Foster
Dianne Touchell

Radiance

Radiance - Catherynne M. Valente The press release for this book describes it as “a decopunk pulp SF alt-history space opera mystery set in a Hollywood, and solar system, very different from our own” and if you think that sounds complicated, you have no idea.

I’m not going to lie; this is not an easy book to get into, and it’s not a light read. This is not the sort of thing you can pick up while on the edge of sleep, when your brain has started shutting down and you just want to relax.
Stories are like that. They love havoc, especially their own.
Many of these stories involve sleep. That is because we are all afraid of sleeping. We know it deep in our blood and our marrow. A panther, a bear, a Cro-Magnon may find a child while she’s sleeping. And so we tell tales of a girl who pricked her finger on a navigational array and fell asleep for a hundred years. A girl who ate an apple that wasn’t really an apple and fell into a deep sleep until a handsome businessman with a Kleen-Krop patent came along and kissed her awake again. A wise scientist who gave away his notes for free, so his assistant put him to sleep in a tree forever.

This book requires your attention, and it requires a lot of work, especially at the start.This is a thinking-person’s… decopunk, pulp, SF… in an attempt to be concise, let’s just call it speculative fiction!

The rest of this review can be found HERE!