figgyoconnell

Forgetting Foster
Dianne Touchell

The Many Worlds of Albie Bright

The Many Worlds of Albie Bright - Christopher Edge
Mum and Dad used to joke that their first date was one thousand metres beneath the moors. They went down the mine looking for dark matter – the invisible glue that sticks the universe together – and found each other instead. They got married and, skipping the embarrassing biology bit, eight months later I showed up. Albert Stephen Bright.
The Many Worlds of Albie Bright is told with a simple voice but it covers some rather tough topics, resulting in a book that’s great for young or reluctant readers who are curious about quantum physics or who are dealing with loss.

As we read along on Albie’s adventures, we are given a brief look at such scientific theory as Schrodinger’s cat, Many-Worlds Interpretation, and the Large Hadron Collider to name a few, as well as the exploration of said “many-worlds”.
When I asked Mum why she needed such a big machine to look inside something so small, she told me that the Large Hadron Collider is like an underground race track fro atoms, but where the winner is the one who has the biggest crash. In the collider, these tiny particles race round and round in circles getting faster and faster until they smash together at almost the speed of light. Mum said this creates a mini Big Bang – a bit like the one that made the universe – and by studying this Mum and Dad hoped to find out exactly how everything began.
We get to meet the various other versions of Albie and see the ways in which their world differs from his, whether that change be something as big as an additional planet in the solar system, or as small as a different chromosome.

The rest of this review can be found HERE!