figgyoconnell

The Dog, Ray
Linda Coggin
Forgetting Foster
Dianne Touchell

BOOK REVIEW: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, Jack Thorne

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - J.K. Rowling, John Kerr Tiffany, Jack Thorne

There have been a lot of feelings flying around since the announcement of the “8th Harry Potter book”, especially once it sunk in that this was going to be the script of the West End play, rather than the format so many Harry Potter fans have grown up expecting.

There was excitement, of course, followed closely by the concern that a script would be hard to get lost in, and that maybe our dear J.K. was perhaps jumping the shark. There was talk about the possibility that this would be about Albus, Scorpius, and Rose, as mentioned in the epilogue of the seventh book, attending Hogwarts and becoming the new “power trio”.

But there is so much more to this story, and it went off in a direction that many of us won’t have expected.

Those who live in London will be able to appreciate this story in all of its glory, but that doesn’t mean those of us in other parts of the world can’t find a certain amount of joy in the pages of this book.

All things considered, it is a return to the world of Hogwarts for those of us who have so missed it.

It’s difficult to write a review for this book without giving things away, as everything has been kept so secret, but I’ll do my very best!

If you don’t want to know anything about the actual plot before going in, I can tell you this:

- There’s laughter, and touching moments, and heartache, friendship, and drama, and adventure.

- We revisit some of the characters and places we’ve grown so familiar with over the last seven books.

- It’s a little light on the character development, but that’s understandable because it’s a script.

- Though it is a script, it’s easy to read.

- You cannot read this without having read the other seven or seen the movies. There are spoilers, and there are things that won’t make as much sense without that foundation. This is not a jumping-in point for people who haven’t read or watched any of the previous adventures, though it stands well enough in its own right that you can still enjoy it, even if you last read the books or saw the movies many many years ago.

- If you’ve seen the movies enough, you will no doubt hear your beloved returning characters speaking, as they perform the play in your head.

- You should read it.

- Great fun can be had if you get a group of friends together, pick your characters, and do a table read, as this reviewer did.

The rest of this review can be found HERE!